Part-Time Director of Production
We love our communities and want to perform for them. We want to see our artform, that we have committed our lives to crafting, continue to exist in the near and far future. We want to provide more performance opportunities to the thousands of young opera artists throughout the country who have an amazing gift they want to share. We want to foster and develop the artistic entrepreneurial spirit, and now we’re hiring!
The Director of Production position is a part-time position with opportunity for growth into a full-time position:
The Director of Production reports to the Artistic & Executive Director and will serve as the primary technical liaison between OOT and its collaborators — including composers, directors, music directors, designers, production staff, venues, presenters, and external vendors.
They will be responsible for advancing technical needs for all OOT educational and community-based programming, touring, and world premiere commission productions.
The Director of Production oversees freelance Production and Stage Managers, and over-hire labor.
- Ensuring that all OOT production safety, equity, diversity, and inclusion protocols are being maintained at the highest level;
- Overseeing and approving production schedules, setting production timelines/deadlines, and leading production meetings;
- Determining rental and crew needs for all technical departments, in conjunction with production designers and venue production managers;
- Planning and executing the load-in and load-out plans of all OOT projects, as well as staffing developmental workshop and technical rehearsal;
- Assisting designers with the execution and realization of their designs, while adhering to project budgets;
- Overseeing of the writing and revising of technical riders to accompany OOT contracts, and ensuring that all aspects of the production are well documented;
- Oversee the solicitation of bids from shops and vendors for the construction of scenery/props/costumes and rental of audio/video/lighting/backline needs;
- Oversee a team that will determine and execute all packing, shipping, and cartage needs for OOT projects.
- Advise on hiring and overseeing of production support staff including Stage Managers, Technical Directors, Prop Artisans, PA’s, Lighting/Audio/Video Technicians, Wardrobe supervisors, Hair/Makeup staff, etc.
- Oversee the management and storage of all production-related items as well as equipment owned by OOT used across productions and programs;
Time Commitment: Minimum 10 hrs/week with flexible maximum hourly cap depending on the season schedule
Pay: Hourly with minimum 10 hour weekly retainer
Here at Opera on Tap we believe work is just one of the keys to living a fulfilling life and we actively encourage and promote a work environment that puts self-care for all of our staffers at the forefront. In terms of operations, our NY-metro-based team works from home with occasional in-person meetings and weekly video conference calls. Office-based work hours are flexible provided the workload can be managed within deadlines and communications with company stakeholders and 3rd parties we work with can be executed in an efficient manner. The Director of Production will be expected to be onsite for performances, events and productions to oversee technical staff and operations.
Who We Are Looking For:
Opera on Tap is committed to fostering a work environment in which each individual has equitable access to opportunities, is fully supported in their endeavors, and feels a genuine sense of belonging.
People from communities underrepresented in the arts are especially encouraged to apply.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com