Opera on Tap’s Harassment/ Safe Space Policy
Incident Report Form
If you need to submit information on an incident, and/or file a complaint or grievance, please fill out the form linked below. Submissions made through this form will be sent directly to the Interim Equity Leadership Team, who will determine the next steps toward resolution of your concerns, through the Equity and HR Committees of Opera on Tap. All identifying information presented will be kept confidential.
Opera on Tap strives to create and maintain a work environment in which people are treated with dignity, decency and respect. The environment of the company should be characterized by mutual trust and the absence of intimidation, oppression and exploitation. Participants should be able to work and learn in a safe, yet stimulating atmosphere. The accomplishment of this goal is essential to the mission of the company. For that reason, Opera on Tap will not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment of any kind. Through enforcement of this policy and by education of participants, the company will seek to prevent, correct and discipline behavior that violates this policy.
All participants, regardless of their positions, are covered by and are expected to comply with this policy and to take appropriate measures to ensure that prohibited conduct does not occur. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against any participant who violates this policy. Based on the seriousness of the offense, disciplinary action may include verbal or written reprimand, suspension or termination of their affiliation.
Prohibited Conduct Under This Policy
Opera on Tap, in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local anti-discrimination and harassment laws and regulations, enforces this policy in accordance with the following definitions and guidelines:
It is a violation of Opera on Tap’s policy to discriminate in the provision of opportunities, benefits or privileges; to create discriminatory work conditions; or to use discriminatory evaluative standards if the basis of that discriminatory treatment is, in whole or in part, the person’s race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or marital status.
Discrimination in violation of this policy will be subject to disciplinary measures up to and including termination.
Opera on Tap prohibits harassment if any kind, including sexual harassment, and will take appropriate and immediate action in response to complaints or knowledge of violations of this policy. For purposes of this policy, harassment is any verbal or physical conduct designed to threaten, intimidate or coerce a participant, co-worker or any person working for or on behalf of Opera on Tap. Verbal taunting (including racial and ethnic slurs) that, in the participant’s opinion, impairs his or her ability to perform his or her function is included in the definition of harassment.
Inclusivity stands as one of Opera on Tap’s core values, as we actively strive to promote and recognize principles of fairness and equity in relation to race, age, color, disability, faith, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, social class, economic class, ethnicity, gender identity, gender expression, and all other identities represented in our organization and worldwide.
We must all work together to create a space within Opera on Tap’s chapters and events that is safe and comfortable for all individuals. Related to this, we have developed the following guidelines to address inappropriate behavior at Opera on Tap’s events:
- Inappropriate behavior that is prohibited may include—but is not limited to—sexual harassment or behavior that is racist, sizeist, sexist, transphobic, queerphobic, ableist, xenophobic, ageist, and homophobic. Inappropriate behavior also includes unwillingness to listen to and learn from others’ experiences.
- If you feel that you have been subject to inappropriate behavior or discrimination, you should report the incident as outlined below.
- If someone questions your behavior, the Responsible Person designated below will speak with you. You may be given a verbal warning and you may be asked to leave the event. If inappropriate behavior continues and/or is reported again, you may be prohibited from attending or participating in future Opera on Tap events.
Reporting Inappropriate Behavior
If you feel that you have been subject to any type of harassment, inappropriate behavior or discrimination, you should report the incident to the person indicated as follows (the “Responsible Person”):
- If by a performer or front/back office person at a venue, to the local director/coordinator/event planner/managing diva(o).
- If by the local director/coordinator/event planner/managing diva(o), to any member of the Board of Directors of Opera on Tap.
- If by a Board Member of Opera on Tap, to any other member of the Board.
- NOTE: Someone else may also report on your behalf. There will be no retaliation against the person who reports the behavior.